Lifus Interuptus by Paty Jager

This photo is why my post is late. Grandkids have taken over my office!

20160314_085422 (127x225)

I started out 2016 telling myself I wasn’t going to push so hard. Last year I wrote and published four mystery novels, three western historical romance novels, and one novella. The three projects at the end of the year were almost more than I could handle. That’s when I made my decision for 2016 to write two novels and a novella in the mystery series and two historical western romance this year.

However, due to catching the virus going around and family visiting, I’m already behind my slower pace for this year. Killer Descent was to be published by now but it is a week to two weeks out.

Killer DescentKiller Descent book five in the Shandra Higheagle Mysteries

Abuse…Power…Murder

Once again Shandra Higheagle finds herself a suspect in a murder investigation when an ex-lover is found murdered on a Huckleberry ski run. A past she’d planned to never divulge now must be shared with the first man she’s trusted, Detective Ryan Greer.

Ryan puts his job in jeopardy when he’s booted from the case and uses all resources plus a few extra to prove Shandra is innocent. The information leads them down a road of blackmail and betrayal of the ugliest kind.

This past weekend, one of my daughter’s went with me on a road trip to a book signing. On the way back we started brainstorming the Christmas mystery I’ve been thinking about writing this year. It was fun, since she’s read the books in the series and knows the characters. She gave me some fun ideas. Have any of you ever read a book where and animal is the main suspect? I’m thinking about making Sheba, Shandra’s canine sidekick,the suspect.

And I plan to introduce a couple of new characters into the next couple of books to also use as suspects. That is the fun of writing a mystery series, incorporating characters you know will be suspects or the killers in books to come. I’m always thinking two to three books ahead when I write a book to drop small clues to what may be a next book.

As  a reader do you you like clues to a possible next book dropped in? Or does it make you upset if that little nugget isn’t the next book in the series?

SH Mug Art (2)

patyjager.net

Writing into the Sunset

Advertisements

About patyjag

Paty Jager is an award-winning author of 30+ novels, novellas, and short stories of murder mystery, western romance, and action adventure. All her work has Western or Native American elements in them along with hints of humor and engaging characters. Paty and her husband raise alfalfa hay in rural eastern Oregon. Riding horses and battling rattlesnakes, she not only writes the western lifestyle, she lives it.
This entry was posted in mystery, Paty Jager and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Lifus Interuptus by Paty Jager

1. janegorman says:

Wow, you’re busy! How do you do it? That’s very impressive. If I manage to get two books out this year (which is by no means certain) I’ll have pushed myself. As a reader, I love to have a hint about the next book planted in the book I’m reading – but I also expect that nugget to be part of the next story. I’d be very disappointed if it didn’t play a role!

Liked by 1 person

2. patyjag says:

I tend to plant nuggets that may or may not be found in the next book, but are definitely in the following book. I think it helps to set up a believable reason why someone is the suspect or why the death happened. I have so many stories in my head, I have to get them out! Thanks for commenting!

3. ambfoxx says:

I’m also amazed at your productivity. I can barely get one book a year out, and one short story. Granted, my books are longer than average for the mystery genre. (Somehow it takes longer to solve a mystery that isn’t a murder?)
    I like hints about the next book if they aren’t cliffhangers, but they aren’t important to me as a reader or as a writer. I tend not to read books in a series back to back,so I might not remember those hints anyway when I get to the next book months later..
    As for animal suspects: Nevada Barr’s Track of the Cat, her first Anna Pigeon mystery, has a mountain lion as the prime suspect (at first). In one of James D. Doss’s books, the first victim is a bull–a serious crime to a rancher.

Liked by 1 person

• patyjag says:

Amber, thanks for the insights into some books to check out. I’ve read a couple of the Doss books but didn’t read the one about the bull. I have stories that have to be told or they drive me nuts! LOL I write 2500-4000 words a day.

4. janispattersonmysteries says:

I just want to know what kind of vitamins you take!
    Concerning your question about clues in one book about the next, I think I’m the wrong person to ask. I don’t like series – don’t read them. Yes, I’ve started one, but only under duress from my husband and webmistress!
    Anyway, I stand in awe of your productivity! Way to go, girl!

Liked by 1 person

• patyjag says:

Hi Janis! No vitamins, just a very active imagination that has to get the stories out. Wow, I think you’re the first person I’ve met who doesn’t like series books! Interesting. I’d like a post from you on why. 😉

5. casojka123 says:

I am truly amazed by your productivity. And you still have time for grandchildren visits and having your office turned into a bedroom. I so much enjoyed meeting you at Left Coast Crime. It was a great conference.